Area fire departments indicate fairly calm Fourth

Throughout the July 4 holiday many fires were reported in the area.
In Lake Stevens, in the 2400 block of Spruce Road, a row of arborvitae trees caught fire, requiring the fire department to respond. Arborvitae trees are nicknamed “green gas cans” by firefighters for their rapid way of burning. A dumpster went up in flames in the 700 block of 89th Avenue SE. Several other small garbage can and dumpster fires were attended to by Snohomish Regional Fire and Rescue. The fire agency’s spokesman Peter Mongillo said these garbage can fires were likely the result of the improper disposal of spent fireworks.
Also in Lake Stevens, an arborvitae tree that was set ablaze from a firework caused a large amount of damage to the attic and roof of a house. A garbage can fire near a house was reported in the 22800 block of 150th Street SE.
A majority of fire emergencies Snohomish Regional responded to were due to arborvitae trees being ignited.
No major injuries were reported.
In Snohomish, a person at the front desk for Snohomish Fire District 4 checked with an assistant fire chief and relayed that “there was nothing of note” that occurred on July 4.

Update, July 12:  The major incidents reported by Snohomish Regional Fire & Rescue were all in Lake Stevens, Snohomish Regional Fire & Rescue spokesman Peter Mongillo said. The initial version of this article highlighted two incidents in Monroe.