This self guided tour, Saturday, September 14 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., is designed to showcase Everett’s outstanding residences and buildings. The tour begins at the Van Valey House.
You may be asked to remove your shoes at some of the homes. Shoe covers will be provided. Please respect the homeowner’s privacy signs and no photography please.
The Van Valey House, 1914
2130 Colby Avenue
Owner: City of Everett Parks and Recreation
Event day tickets, tour pass and self –guided map, refreshments and restrooms will be available. Also be sure to view the artist’s gallery room.
The wood for the Van Valey House was cut on site for this American Foursquare. It features quarter-sawn paneling that is irreplaceable today.
Special attributes include bay windows imported from France, leaded glass windows from Belgium including 236 panes of beveled glass. Coffered ceilings are featured in the dining room and the history exhibit room. The bronze sculpture on the newell post was recast from the damaged original. A carriage house is found in back.
This historic house can be rented for events at 425-257-8300 ext. 2
The Blakely House, 1918
1816 Oakes Avenue
Owner: Clinton Seal
Proud owner since 2010, Clinton Seal is devoted to the care and restoration of this charming Craftsman Bungalow. A modest and trim 856 sq ft, this home has its original siding and moulding still intact, all its original hardwood flooring, as well as the original clawfoot bathtub.
The Anderson House, 1905
1802 Lombard Avenue
Owners: Barb and Greg Lichneckert
This historic home is considered a Northwest Stick Vernacular in design.
Barb and Greg Lichneckert fell in love with this classic home and purchased it in 1992. They’ve been busy ever since with extensive restoration and rework throughout their home. All double hung windows have been restored to working order, the basement has been hand dug for more space, living and dining rooms completely remodeled, similar with the kitchen where they discovered their current bath was once the pantry, while the laundry room had been an original bathroom.
Be sure to notice the original tongue and groove in the main floor bedroom, while the original rough sawn 2 x 6 ceiling can be seen in the upstairs master bedroom.
The Rhody House, 1901
2221 Hoyt Avenue
Owner: Drew Ritland
Current owner Drew Ritland purchased this amazing Queen Anne style cottage in 1997. Drew first stripped one hundred years of finish off the doors, then proceeded to restore and refurbish throughout. Ritland calls himself a passionate restorer of vintage mechanical machinery, and when you see the appliances and collections, you will agree with him.
He may be the only man in Everett, if not the state of Washington, keeping his items cool in a 1934 fridge.
The Butterworth House, 1920
1305 10th Street
Owner: Debbie Finch
Often called a California Bungalow, this home is a classic variation of The Craftsman Bungalow, with its low pitched cross gable roof, deep front porch supported by thick columns, and Prairie style windows.
Debbie Finch, the current owner, has completed an extensive remodel. She transformed the former three small bedrooms and single bath home into the current configuration with ensuite master, second bedroom, and one and three quarter baths. Debbie has recently repainted the exterior, replaced the front door, and she hopes to eventually fully remodel the kitchen.
The Jamison House, 1913
1129 Rucker Avenue
Owners: Oliver and Julie Batson
This home is a modified Foursquare design.
Current owners Julie and Oliver Batson, who purchased in 2011, found too many powerful features to resist. Among them are the amazing back yard garden and fireplace (once featured in Sunset magazine), a water closet in each bedroom, maid’s call button upstairs, and peek-a-boo sound views from every west facing window.
Julie did much of the design and planning for all changes accomplished since their arrival. Be sure to notice the period style black iron fence outside, as well as scores of inside changes as well as the home’s original charm, all of which coexist in harmony.
The Kosher House, 1948
819 Hoyt Avenue
Owners: Tom and Diane Easley
While generally described as designed in the Mid Century Modern style, 819 Hoyt is actually in the Ranch style, which became very popular through the 1960s after having replaced the Minimal Traditional style. Ranch is characterized by roofs of very low pitch and broad rambling facades, with details such as decorative shutters, and porch-roof supports based on the colonial style. Many Ranch style houses were built of brick or stone, with cedar shake roofs, and aluminum casement windows.
Current owners Dianne and Tom Easley, moved there in 1996 and completed a major remodel, combining rooms to make a new master suite, removing the kitchen wall to reveal the lower level, adding multiple decks out back, and further reworking the place to make it a very fine showplace for all their “Old Stuff,” as Dianne describes their Wurlitzers jukeboxes, displays and collections. Original hardwood floors remain throughout.
The Christoferson House, 1950
831 Hoyt Avenue
Owners: Tom and Diane Easley
This beautiful house was purchased in 2010 by Dianne and Thomas Easley.
The earliest of post-war “mid-century modern” styles was the Minimal Traditional style, which was loosely based on the Tudor style that was dominant in the 1920s and ‘30s. Like Tudor houses, they generally have a dominant front gable and massive chimney, but the steep Tudor roof pitch is lowered and the façade is simplified by omitting most of the traditional detailing.
Diane and Tom have preserved this home keeping the original wood floors, mouldings, and second floor coved ceilings. Each room is themed and you can observe Tom’s collectibles throughout.
The Eddy House, 1915
1801 Grand Avenue
Owners: The Dutton Family
Visitors to 1801 Grand today will find a host of original features; the beautiful beveled glass French doors, grand fireplaces and beautifully carved staircases. Interesting updates were made over the years but the incredible view of the Puget sound remains the same.